Job Type: Permanent
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Standard Hours : 75 hours bi-weekly
Salary: $90,418.00 - $104,593.00
Days Off: Saturday/Sunday
Admissibility: Open to all candidates
Eligibility List: 12 months
Closing Date: 24 January 2019
Job Summary and Requirements:
The Yukon Bureau of Statistics (YBS) is a branch of the Yukon Government (YG) in the Department of Finance. The Bureau functions to help governments, businesses and residents of Yukon make informed decisions through the provision of timely and reliable statistical information. YBS collaborates with and assists YG departments in providing professional expertise and support in data collection, analysis and statistical research. The Bureau also collaborates with Statistics Canada and other provincial/territorial statistical agencies on matters of mutual interest and exchanges ideas and information with them.
Reporting to the Director, the Statistician– Social Statistics and Demography, is responsible for the development and refinement of a comprehensive set of social and demographic statistical indicators for Yukon, as well as for the maintenance of the relevant survey and administrative databases. The incumbent in the position will be required to maintain and run the demographic estimation system, maintain and update the household survey frame, develop social survey methods and sample design, and lead other complex analytical/research projects starting from designing to implementation. The ideal candidate will possess excellent conceptual, analytical and methodological skills, strong communications skills; and ability to provide expert methodological, technical, analytical, and research counsel to policy, program and management personnel of the Yukon government.
For more information about applying on this competition, please contact Desiree Martsinkiw, Human Resource Consultant at (867) 667-5763 or Desiree.Martsinkiw@gov.yk.ca.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications, specifically how your knowledge, skills and experiences align with the essential qualifications noted below. Provide clear examples of the essential qualifications and be explicit when describing your experience. Candidates will not be contacted for incomplete or missing information.
Note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume. For more information please visit our resume profile help page at: www.employment.gov.yk.ca/resume.html.
- A Master’s degree in statistics, mathematics, economics or a relevant social science field from a recognized university, preferably with specialization in social statistics or demography;
- Experience working with survey and administrative data, and the application of statistical theories in data analysis and modelling;
- Experience in statistical software (preferably SAS) programming for database management, statistical analysis of data and modelling;
- Experience writing research/analytical/methodological reports;
- Relevant work experience with Statistics Canada or a provincial/territorial statistical agency or other institutions involved in relevant research would be an asset.
Candidates who have combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above will be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability:
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Knowledge of statistical theories and their applications;
- Knowledge of project management including developing project proposals and budgets;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail;
- Strong communication and report writing skills;
- Organizational and prioritizing skills to manage multiple tasks;
- Proficiency in statistical software programming language and logic;
- Proficiency in advanced functionalities of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access;
- Strong client focus by providing consistent and reliable professional advice; and
- Ability to be a positive and responsible team player.
Job Requirement: Occasional travel within and outside Yukon.
Conditions of Employment: Must qualify for Reliability Status Security Clearance as required by Statistics Canada.
Apply for job
Join the conversation
“My favourite thing about being a CAES member is the way it brings together like-minded individuals who all have different knowledge and experience. To be able to discuss relevant topics with people who have a broad range of expertise within the field is very beneficial.”
Kathryn, Early Career Professional Member